Bison Sports student-athletes are involved with the CancerCare Manitoba's Challenge for Life 2008 which occurs on Saturday, September 27. The Bisons team, named the Herd of Hope, will have all their members (Bison football player Blake Zawada, Bison women’s basketball player Michele Hynes, Bison women’s soccer and track and field athlete Jennifer Campbell and Bison women’s track and field athlete Diana King) walking in the event and have raised at least 60% of their total goal ($4000) with a couple of weeks left.
Zawada is also the co-chair of the University of Manitoba Athletes Council and said, “I, along with the other members of the Herd of Hope, are really excited to have the opportunity to represent all Bison Sport athletes in the Challenge for Life walk. With the money that we have raised consisting of many donations from people in the Bison Sports community, such as coaches and teammates, this is truly a team effort. Unfortunately, cancer is something that has touched everyone in some way, and we are proud to help and join all other Manitobans in the search for a cure."
The CancerCare Manitoba's Challenge for Life 2008 consists of a 20 km walk to raise money for cancer research. The event starts off with a concert at the MTS Centre. The Herd of Hope team has committed to the minimum of $1000 raised per walker and anything $10 and over will get you a tax receipt. You can donate online by going to www.challengeforlife.ca - which is the official website with all information.
Here's how to donate to the Herd of Hope:
1. Go to www.challengeforlife.ca
2. On the left hand side of the website, click on "DONATE TO A WALKER"
3. Type in Blake Zawada in the name search field and press "Search", then click on my name after the results have come up, this will take you to my Page.
4. Click on "SUPPORT ME" at the top of my page
5. Enter in the amount you wish to donate, any additional information, your billing information (for tax receipt), and you payment information
6. Click "DONATE NOW"